We all have different reasons for why we choose to do certain things and why we may not choose to do others. When it comes to working safely we should all want to choose to make the right decision. We all are different in the way we think, but there are many common reasons why we should choose to work safe. No matter what your motivator may be keep these five reasons in mind as to why we should all strive to should work safe.
Five Reasons to Work Safe
- Your health. Obviously your health and well-being should be the biggest motivator as to why you should choose to work safe. Once we lose our health or impact it severely, it may never be the same. It is important to really think about how a severe injury would change the rest of your life.
- Providing for your family. Your family depends on your ability to earn an income. When you are injured or ill you can lose that ability very quickly. Even if it is only for a short time the financial and emotional effects on your family can be drastic.
- Your reputation. While productive employees are still very much rewarded at many companies, working safely is often recognized right along with production. Your reputation at work not only affects you in your current position, but it also can affect whether or not you earn a future promotion at your company or land opportunities at other companies. No one wants to reward a risk taker or put them in a position of power. If it is known that you are a worker that cuts corners or does not work safely it could make all the difference in whether or not you get the chance at a better opportunity.
- Your coworkers. Making the choice to take shortcut can not only harm yourself, but you can also harm a fellow coworker. Everyone’s safety on the job depends on not only on their own choices but the choices of all the workers there.
- Your company as a whole. Whether you love the company you work for or not, the job they provide you with pays your bills. Working safely allows business to continue thus providing the opportunity for you to continue to pay your bills as well as your fellow coworkers to do the same.
Think about how the choices you make on the job not only affect you, but also how they affect your family, your coworkers, and the company as a whole. Reminding yourself of the far reaching consequences an incident can have on many different people can reinforce making the right decision when working safely. Keep these five reasons to work safe in mind the next time you see a coworker taking risks at work. When one person chooses to take risks everyone is at risk to suffer the consequences
Written by: Omane Sarfo Kwame